06 September, 2006

fundamentals

Joining the two great loves of my life (you guessed 'em, food and books) is a tome of great prestige in my personal library. The Joy of Cooking will always occupy a hefty place on my shelf, and not necessarily the with my cookbooks. I'm systematically going through the sometimes witty, sometimes stodgy, but always helpful information from the "Foods We Heat" and "Know Your Ingredients" sections, as well as various other morsels from the in-betweeny recipe areas. Would that I weren't a poor college student! I'd totally buy a butter churn and, thanks to the knowledge these lovely women have imparted unto me, make my own super-UNsalted butter. It's inspiring, really. A recipe for almond milk? Yes please! Somewhat passive-aggressive asides regarding reactive cookware? Make mine a double!

Julia Child said that this would be her only cookbook, were she allowed only one. I'd have to agree. For all of the snark and general blandness of recipes, this old workhorse of a cookbook is all I need to start. Hence, the entry. More to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home