23 September, 2006

winter squash rocks me like a hurricane

At the suggestion of my fine roommate, I baked an acorn squash (350ish for about 40 minutes in a pan with a bit of water, well-buttered and S and P to the T.) The flavor was fantastic -- earthy, rich, and not too sweet -- but it wasn't too evenly cooked, and stringiness ensued. My method was to cut the thing in half, scoop out the innards, butter and go. Not bad for an easy meal (and it was a full meal.) I'm determined to make the best use of squash this season, though, and cooking it thoroughly seems a bit crucial. Joy of Cooking recommends steaming -- I respectfully disagree. Wouldn't graininess and loss of flavor come out of that? Baking in smaller sections is my new plan. Or a longer, slightly cooler bake time.

(Fun fact: Squash is actually considered a berry.)

Next squash endeavor: twice-baked squash mashed with potato, cheese (cheddar?), chives and paprika or curry.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home