03 December, 2007

A Very Important Question

Top seasonal beers this season?

I was fairly impressed with Laurelwood's Vinter Varmer, which sadly will mean nothing to those of you outside of Oregon. It was pretty malt-heavy, but, like their Free Range Red, balanced it with hops without overdoing it. I'd call it more of a Nut Brown than anything else. No bad thing in my book.

My little heart warms at the Alaskan Winter Ale, what with the spruce flavor and all. I have yet to find a better spruce-y beer (Siletz didn't stack up by a long measure, and I've heard there's one out of some Vermont brewery, but I have yet to try it.)

Wreck the Halls is always a fave, but something about the mouthfeel bothered me this year.

Pelican's Bad Santa, which I tried at the Portland Winter Ale Fest (located conveniently right outside my office), was awesome. Darkish, citrusy, yum.

Y'all?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger J. said...

Sierra Nevada Celebration is my perennial favorite, and this year it seems particularly well-balanced, while still having plenty of hop character.

On tap:

I love Diamond Knot beers out of Mukilteo, WA, and their Ho Ho! does not disappoint - a hoppy brown that I think even M. would like. I know it's currently available at Bailey's Taproom in Portland.

I had two pints of Terminal Gravity's Festivus last night at the Bier Stein and was very impressed - exceptionally balanced for a TG beer.

Speaking of Festivus, Trevor at Eugene City Brewery is calling his seasonal this as well, and it's a mellow, delicious old ale. Maybe available at other Rogue pubs?

1:18 PM  
Blogger M. said...

I once had a Siletz Spruce that was delicious; since then they've all been bad. The Steinies told me they're unreliable, though, so ... take that for whatever it's worth. I do like Alaskan Winter, but it's too sweet to drink a lot of, I think. Jubel isn't bad, Ebenezer's forgettable and Wassail is strong, if nothing else. What's wrong with me that I haven't had a great one yet? OH! I do love Willamette Espresso Stout, thought it's not all THAT holiday-esque...

Hoppy brown? Sign me up!

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Projetores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://projetor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://biaxin-buy.webs.com/ buy clarithromycin (biaxin)
http://sustiva-efavirenz.webs.com/ Generic Sustiva
http://asacol-mesalamine.webs.com/ asacol
http://www.freewebs.com/pentasa-mesalamine/ mesalamine 400 mg ec tab

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home